In under two months I have cut my right hand three times, including one trip to the emergency room for 13 stitches. Two weeks ago I fell on my treadmill and wedged myself between it and the clothes dryer, resulting in a third-degree abrasion on my back.
I dropped a marble into the globe of this spectacularly inexpensive ($2.99 from Goodwill) gum ball machine (which I planned to put little love sayings on glass marbles and place in the Valentines vignette on the mantle) and cracked it. Then repaired it. Then while demonstrating to my husband how I’d broken it the first time, I cracked it again, resulting in a scream of character and decibel level unheard on this planet since the Late Cretaceous Epoc, shortly followed by a rampage of glass smashing to make sure no part of this gum ball dome would ever again reflect the light of day. And in the process I cut a finger on my left hand. Apparently this was so comical it negated all concern and/or sympathy my husband may have had for me.
I’m not through. A week ago I found two cloches at Goodwill (yes, I had plans for them) and while washing one, tapped it ….like Tinkerbell might tap Peter Pan on the nose, WITH HER EYELASHES!… and it cracked! How was that possible? Thank heavens for crazy glue, which only postponed the inevitable which was the next time I went to move it, about a day later.
I dropped my camera yesterday, and only found out this morning that I’ve loosened the cable connection between the computer and the camera. I don’t know how I’m going to explain this one to my husband since I won’t even let him touch this beloved piece of electronics. My printer ran out of ink on Monday; always a fiasco involving finding instructions and moving furniture, and wrenching my back. Two, not one, fluorescent bulbs have burned out in the last week (they’re suppose to last for years), as well as one ballast (which cost more to replace than a new light fixture). I’ve broken two tea cups in two days.
I’ve lost a good piece of jewelry since Christmas, and while emptying the trash in my sewing room last Friday I practically knocked myself unconscious hitting the underside of my desk. I’m pretty sure the knot on my head is now a tumor.
I’ve shortened this list, but trust me when I say I’m living in fear of touching anything of value, including my cat. I’m not kidding. These things run in cycles with me. But really, enough is enough.
A friend called me this morning and put everything in perspective. Yesterday, around 11 a.m. someone was struck by lightning on my golf course. In fact, it was very close to my house. I feel terrible. I’m sure it was meant for me.