I was going to post today about my newest idea for the shooth, but I’d rather post it in the past-tense, which by virtue of my mentioning it today will motivate me to finish it by tomorrow. Theoretically. Does that make sense?
Papier mache is messy. How messy? Messy enough to be a deterrent, and I am only three layers into these heads and today realize it may take five, perhaps six, layers to complete. There are a couple of reasons for this. First and foremost, I don’t know what I’m doing. I’m using this little crow as my model, and each time I turn it I see the crow differently. Imagine that.
So I decided that since I’m doing two of these heads, I’ll make them not slightly different by accident, but profoundly different on purpose. One has the straight neck, which may or may not fit better on the mannequin. The other has the flared neck/back combination which will better accommodate the feathers I plan to make from crepe paper. One has a hawkish beak; the other less ominous, and the transition between the beak and head of each is different though you can’t see that well in these pics. Time will tell how any of this turns out, but I know once they’re painted black and the mock feathers are in place they will be, if not artsy, certainly whimsical. I get little paper cuts on my hands when I papier mache, a real motivator, and not from the paper but rather from the drying effect of the salt in the mixture.
But in addition to my drying hands, the weather has dried up some and gotten much warmer, so maybe there is an end in sight for these. I’ve got them on the lanai under a fan.
Hope everyone had a merry Valentine’s evening last night. Happy Crafting.