While it didn’t take as long as I thought, I learned much from working through this project. Number One: Painting BIG is difficult. Aside from my short arms (which go with my 5’1” height) 42” X 42” is just a big painting. I see big paintings on restaurant walls and wonder who might own enough interior wall space to hang such a thing. But now I have more respect for those who can handle such projects as well as those who buy them.
This project was about 6 days work, if only a few hours a day. Drying time is annoying but necessary. One tip I learned for those who paint these on a flat surface: put two large PVC pipes under the board so you can roll it both toward and away from you. Bringing it closer gives you access from the side to paint more easily in the middle. Also, turpentine (very stinky) on your brush thins the oil paint enough for some shading. I was not happy with the starkness of the pumpkin. Even at a distance (the “300 foot rule” taught in the barn quilt class) this was too linear and bright. It needed some softening and depth. I even thought of painting in some stitching (little lines “in the ditch”) to tone it down, and may do this later after I’ve framed it. (I’m thinking orange for the frame.)
Anyhow….I’m still on board (pun intended) with these and today I’ll buy my wood for next week’s winter barn quilt. Because these take up so much space in my studio, I’m going to knock all the seasons out at once, clean up and move on to the next obsession.